Super soft and fluffy lemon cupcakes topped with homemade blackberry buttercream frosting. They’re easy to make – and even easier to EAT! This is one cupcake flavor duo you don’t want to miss! Fact: I’m a little cupcake obsessed this Summer. Cannot get enough of them! Doesn’t matter if they’re Super Decadent Chocolate Cupcakes or of the Perfect “One Bowl” Vanilla variety – I WANT THEM ALL. Question Tiiiiime: What’s your favorite cupcake flavor? Are you into crazy flavor combos? Or more of a classic chocolate/strawberry/vanilla kinda guy (or gal)?
Homemade cupcakes can seem like a lot of work to some people, but I’m here to tell you these lemon blackberry beauties are totally do-able in just over an hour, and virtually impossible to screw up. They’re also just downright FUN to make! Cupcake baking is one of my favorite ways to spend an afternoon or evening, and the workload is even easier (and a lot more FUN) if you have a friend joining in on the action. I baked 3 different cupcake recipes down the beach with my nieces, and it was a BLAST! I definitely think we have some budding bloggers in the fam 😉
Lemon Cupcakes with Blackberry Buttercream
prep 30 minscook 16 minstotal 46 mins
Light and Fluffy Lemon Cupcakes are topped with gorgeous swirls of Blackberry Buttercream!
For the cupcakes:
1 3/4 cups cake flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sour cream (I used full fat)
1/2 cup milk (I used whole)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large egg whites, at room temperature
1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, melted
1 cup granulated sugar
*Zest of one lemon (about 2 teaspoons)
For the Blackberry Buttercream:
1 cup blackberries
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, VERY soft
1/2 teaspoon salt (do not SKIP!)
4 cups confectioners sugar (more if needed), sifted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Line a 12 mold muffin tin with paper liners; set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; mix well to combine. Set aside.
- In a large measuring cup or bowl combine sour cream, milk, vanilla, and egg whites; mix well to combine. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine sugar and lemon zest. Using your fingertips, rub the zest IN to the sugar, until fragrant and well combined.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat melted butter and sugar on medium speed until well combined; about 2 minutes.
- Read Full Recipes >> bakerbynature.com